Build it with KaBOOM!Deadline: November 9, 2018
Build it with KaBOOM! pairs one of KaBOOM!’s dedicated funding partners with a community partner, who then come together to plan and build a brand-new playground. KaBOOM!’s community-built playgrounds generate a tangible, achievable win for the community, transforming a space into a great place to play for kids and families.
A Build it with KaBOOM! grant provides the facilitation and support of an experienced Project Manager as community members embark on a 5–12 week planning process. After selection, all partners will join together for a community Design Day, inviting play experts (the kids, of course) to design their dream playspace. The recipient’s hard work and required weekly planning will result in a six-hour community-build day, where the community space will be transformed to include a permanent play structure and site enhancements that will make the space 100% unique to the community.
Amount: Grant recipients will receive a playground (grant includes equipment, safety surfacing, installation, and shipping).
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Serve a low-income and/or special needs community
- Have no playground or need to replace an existing unsafe or outdated one
- Work with the community, with guidance from a KaBOOM! Project Manager, to fundraise toward the cost of equipment
- Own the land on which the applicant plans to build, or have a long-term lease and get permission from the landowner to construct a playground
- Demonstrate ability to recruit a team of parents, neighbors, and community members who are excited about serving on the planning committee for an eight to ten week period, plus recruit approximately 100 community members to participate on Build Day
- Complete any needed site preparation on at least 2,500 square feet in order to create a flat, dirt surface (e.g., removing old equipment or asphalt, etc.)
- Secure soil tests, utility checks, and build permits in a timely manner
Identify community resources to secure additional in-kind contributions such as breakfast and lunch for Build Week, tools, restroom facilities, and a dumpster
- Accept ownership and maintenance responsibilities for the playspace upon completion of project
Albuquerque, New Mexico is a priority community for this opportunity.