Bureau of Indian Education: Tribal Education Department Grant ProgramDeadline: September 21, 2015
Tribal Education Department (TED) grant funds will assist tribes in the development and operation of TEDs for the purpose of planning and coordinating all educational programs of the tribe. These funds will support the development of TEDs to improve educational outcomes for students and improve efficiencies and effectiveness in the operation of BIE-funded schools.
Grant funds will support program goals for the following areas that promote tribal education capacity-building:
- To provide for the development and enforcement of tribal educational codes, including tribal educational policies and tribal standards applicable to curriculum, personnel, students, facilities and support programs
- To facilitate tribal control in all matters relating to the education of Indian children on reservations and on former reservations in Oklahoma
- To provide for the development of coordinated educational programs on reservations and on former reservations in Oklahoma by encouraging tribal administrative support of all BIE-funded educational programs, as well as encouraging tribal cooperation and coordination with entities carrying out all educational programs receiving financial support from other federal agencies, state agencies, or private entities
Priority will be given to applications that meet the following:
- Serves three or more separate BIE-funded schools. Less priority will be given if applicant has less than three schools but with at least one BIE-funded school.
- Provides coordinating services and technical assistance to all relevant BIE-funded schools.
- Plans to monitor and audit these grant funds by or through the TED.
- Provides a plan and schedule that provides for: the assumption, by the TED, of all assets and functions of the BIE agency office associated with the tribe, to the extent the assets and functions relate to education, and the termination by the BIE of such functions and office at the time of such assumption; and provides that the assumption will occur over the term of the grant, unless mutually agreeable to the tribal governing body and the Assistant Secretary of Indian Affairs, the period in which such assumption is to occur may be modified, reduced, or extended after the initial year of the grant.
Amount: $25,000-$150,000 per fiscal year, for three years or depending on the project, number of educational programs impacted, project design, and expected outcomes. Subject to the availability of appropriated funds, grants will be provided for three years and, depending on performance, may be renewed for additional two-year terms.
Eligibility: Federally recognized Indian tribes with at least one BIE-funded school on tribal lands.
Note: There are two pre-application webinars:
- Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 9:00 am MST
- Thursday, September 8, 2015 at 2:00 am MST
Registration links are available at the Federal Register Notice: https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/08/28/2015-21339/tribal-education-department-grant-program