Fund for Shared Insight: Listen for Good
Listen for Good (L4G) is a grant initiative that is dedicated to building the practice of listening to the people it seeks to help. L4G is structured as a multi-sector partnership between Fund for Shared Insight; SurveyMonkey, a private company with a scaled survey platform; co-funders; and U.S.-based nonprofit organizations. L4G is focused on applying a semi-standard survey instrument, which includes using the Net Promoter System (NPS®) employed widely in customer feedback circles, to the nonprofit beneficiary context. Organizations implementing L4G are all customer-facing nonprofits.
L4G aims to:
- Support diverse, customer-facing nonprofits to initiate or improve their practice of systematically collecting and using feedback from the people they seek to help whose voices are least heard.
- Accelerate the building of infrastructure needed for strong beneficiary feedback loops in the social sector, including technology, analytics, reporting, and access to tools and benchmarks.
- Experiment and learn about applying/adapting the Net Promoter System to the beneficiary feedback context, including determining what survey questions work best for organizations and building out benchmarks in key issue areas (e.g., food insecurity, community and economic development, health).
- Engage more funders in supporting, using, and valuing beneficiary feedback by structuring L4G as a co-funding/matching grant opportunity.
- Capture and share lessons learned with grantees, co-funders, and the field to positively catalyze the feedback movement and inform the work going forward.
Amount: Organizations will receive a grant of $30,000 over 18 months ($20,000 in the first year and $10,000 in the final six months). Organizations will also be able to access to technical assistance to guide their implementation efforts.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be U.S.-based, 501c3 public charities whose work is focused domestically. Its beneficiaries for L4G must reside in the U.S.
- Have a minimum annual budget of $500,000 in the current and previous fiscal year.
- Serve at least 100 beneficiaries annually and have intentions to survey a minimum of 50 respondents for each cycle of L4G.
- Be customer-facing and thus have ultimate beneficiaries whom they serve from whom it would make sense to collect feedback about their experience with the organization’s programs and/or services.
- Serve, and plan to implement feedback loops with, clients whose voices are least heard. For example, these might be families visiting food pantries, youth attending afterschool academic and enrichment programs, residents living in public housing, recent immigrants using legal-aid services, or individuals participating in job-training programs. (See FAQs for more information, available through link provided below).
- Be nominated by a current or new funder willing to contribute $15,000 to Fund for Shared Insight’s L4G Initiative in support of the grant. A funder needs to inform a grantee(s) that the funder is interested in nominating and co-funding the grantee(s) for L4G; and email Lindsay Louie, Project Director, L4G, at firstname.lastname@example.org, to confirm the nomination.
This post was filed under: