Grantmakers for Thriving Youth: Advancing Equitable Learning EnvironmentsDeadline: April 1, 2019
The Grantmakers for Thriving Youth (GTY) Policy Working Group (PWG) is inviting organizations that share its goal of advancing equitable learning environments and have expertise in policy and/or advocacy to begin the application process for a grant from its “Advancing Equitable Learning Environments Policy Initiative.” The GTY PWG aims to support initiatives focused on advancing state and local policy to create equitable learning environments that advance whole child development. The PWG considers equitable learning environments to be informed by the science of learning and development; rich with developmental relationships and experiences designed to maximize learning for each young person (including but not limited to schools); and designed to support and foster students’ social, emotional, and academic development. At the core of this initiative is the advancement of educational equity, which the PWG defines as each child receiving what he or she needs to develop to his or her full potential for success in learning, work, citizenship, and life, including considering and addressing social and cultural factors, such as structural racism.
The GTY PWG will support organizations or partnerships of organizations with proposals to drive more equitable learning environments through activities that will:
- Build policymakers’ understanding of equitable learning environments
- Build policymakers’ capacity to advance equitable learning environments, such as with support and technical assistance
- Build the capacity of advocates to influence policymakers to advance more equitable learning environments
Successful projects will incorporate meaningful stakeholder engagement into the work and be designed to impact multiple jurisdictions (e.g., multiple states and/or districts).
The GTY PWG recognizes that there are many different areas of policy that can impact the development of more equitable learning environments – and that it will likely require changes across multiple policy areas to significantly effect change. With that understanding, the PWG seeks to support initiatives that are focused on advancing policies that will create more equitable learning environments, specifically:
- Development and articulation of a clear vision for equitable and whole-child learning and development
- Learning environments/school climate/social, emotional, and academic development
- Adult/professional capacity of those engaging with children in school and out of school time settings
- Equitable distribution of resources
- Continuous improvement/data systems and use
- Family and community engagement
- Partnerships/comprehensive student supports
- Advancing early childhood education as part of equitable learning systems
Amount: The PWG will award up to $300,000 per year for a period of one to two years.
Eligibility: The PWG is looking to support organizations that:
- Have significant influence with policymakers at the state or local levels
- Engage with policymakers as technical assistance providers, advocates, associations/membership organizations, and grassroots and/or grasstops (high professional and/or public profile, can raise public attention or influence decision makers through established connections) organizations
- Have a demonstrated understanding of and commitment to equity through past work and in the work proposed, and show how this work will be done with an equity lens
- Have existing relevant knowledge and experience in bringing about change within the pre-kindergarten through 12th grade system in state and/or local contexts
- Have legitimacy and experience working with multiple jurisdictions (i.e., multiple states or multiple districts)
- Bring partnerships to the table that maximize experiences and skill sets, and have a track record of previous success partnering with other organizations