Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation: USArtists International
USArtists International (USAI) supports performances by U.S. artists at important cultural festivals and arts marketplaces around the globe. Committed to the presence of U.S. based artists on world stages, USArtists International provides grants to ensembles and individual performers in dance, music and theatre invited to perform at significant international festivals and performing arts markets.
USAI encourages and promotes the vibrant diversity of U.S. artists and creative expression in the performing arts by expanding opportunity and exposure to international audiences, encouraging international cultural exchange and enhancing the creative and professional development of U.S. based artists by providing connections with presenters, curators, and artists around the world. USAI extends the reach and impact of professional touring artists and ensembles from the United States and is committed to expanded touring opportunities for continued sustainability of U.S. artists.
The current opportunity will provide support for projects taking place between March 15, 2019 and March 14, 2020.
Amount: Grants generally range from $1,000-$10,000. Requests may not be less than $1,000 and may not exceed $15,000.
Eligibility: Applications to USAI must meet eligibility criteria in each of the following three areas to be eligible for the program:
1. Applicant Eligibility – Eligible applicants must:
- Be a dance, music or theatre ensemble or individual artist, that work at a professional level; festivals and/or curators cannot apply on behalf of U.S. artists.
- Be designated by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, or apply using a U.S.-based fiscal sponsor that is designated as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
- Currently reside in the United States or its territories.
- Be invited to perform at a significant international festival or performing arts market that meets the eligibility guidelines below USArtists International.
- Not have received a USAI grant within the calendar year, regardless of when the festival(s) or market(s) take place.
- Not be involved in the curation, administration or management of the festival or performing arts market for which they seek funding.
- Meet residency requirements: USAI will only fund performances in which at least half of the performers are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. For all projects with international collaborators or accompaniment, at least half of the performers must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents and the lead creative artist must also be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident.
2. Festival/Performing Arts Market Eligibility – Eligible festivals must:
- Be sponsored or organized primarily by a non-U.S. based organization.
- Be curated and not require registration, application, performance, or any other type of fees from performers to exceed USD $250.
- Be international in scope with performers representing at least two countries outside the host country, or have a U.S. theme with representation from at least three U.S. ensembles and/or solo performers.
- Be open and marketed to the general public.
- Provide the applicant with a signed letter of invitation or signed contract to perform at the festival, stating the details of the festival’s financial or in-kind contributions towards eligible project expenses.
- Eligible Performing Arts Markets must meet all festival eligibility requirements listed above with the exception that they do not need to be open and marketed to the general public.
3. Engagement Eligibility – Eligible engagements must:
- Pay artists or artists must receive in-kind contributions towards eligible project expenses.
- Be at least 20 minutes in duration, which may be comprised of single or multiple works or excerpts from longer pieces.
This post was filed under: