National Council of Teachers of Mathematics: Classroom Research Grants (7-12 and PreK-6)Deadline: November 1, 2019
National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) Classroom Research Grants support and encourage classroom-based research in pre-college mathematics education in collaboration with college or university mathematics educators. The research must be a collaborative effort involving a college or university mathematics educator (a mathematics education researcher or a teacher of mathematics learning, teaching, or curriculum) and one or more grades 7-12 classroom teachers or PreK-6 classroom teachers. The definition of a classroom teacher is an individual who spends half or more of his/her work time teaching in the classroom.
The proposal may include, but is not restricted to, research on the following topics:
- Curriculum development and implementation
- Involvement of at-risk or minority students
- Students’ thinking about a particular mathematics concept or set of concepts
- Connection of mathematics to other disciplines
- Focused learning and teaching of mathematics with embedded use of technology (any acquisition of equipment must support the proposed plan but not be the primary focus of the grant)
- Innovative assessment or evaluation strategies
Involvement of preservice teachers is encouraged but not required. This research should lead to a draft article suitable for submission in the Mathematics Teacher Educator, Journal for Research in Mathematics Education, or in one of the NCTM school journals. Proposals must address the following: research design, the plan for collecting and analyzing data, and the anticipated impact on students’ learning.
Amount: Grants of up to $6,000 will be awarded.
Eligibility: Awards will be made to mathematics educators or classroom teachers currently teaching mathematics at the grades 7-12 or PreK-6 level. Additional eligibility includes:
- Classroom Research Grants 7-12: Applicants must be: (1) a current Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM, if a 9-12 teacher or one who teaches at a college or university; or (2) a 7th or 8th grade teacher applicant who is a current Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM or teaches at a school having a current NCTM Pre-K-8 school membership.
- Classroom Research Grants (PreK-6): Applicant must be either: (1) a college or university mathematics educator who is a Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM; or (2) a teacher (a) with a Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM or (b) who teaches at a school having a current NCTM Pre-K-8 school membership.
For the purposes of this application, membership must be current on or before October 12, 2019.
- Classroom Research Grants 7-12: http://www.nctm.org/Grants-and-Awards/Grants/7-12-Classroom-Research-Grants/
- Classroom Research Grants PreK-6: http://www.nctm.org/Grants-and-Awards/Grants/Pre-K-6-Classroom-Research-Grants/