National Council of Teachers of Mathematics: PreK-6 Research GrantsDeadline: October 15, 2014
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) supports teachers with the aim of ensuring equitable mathematics learning of the highest quality for all students through vision, leadership, professional development, and research. To that end, NCTM is accepting proposals for its PreK-6 Classroom Research Grants program, which supports classroom-based research in pre-college mathematics education in collaboration with college or university educators.
The proposal may include, but is not restricted to, research on the following topics:
- Curriculum development and implementation
- Involvement of at-risk or minority students
- Students’ thinking about a particular mathematics concept or set of concepts
- Connection of mathematics to other disciplines
- Focused learning and teaching of mathematics with embedded use of technology (any acquisition of equipment must support the proposed plan but not be the primary focus of the grant)
- Innovative assessment or evaluation strategies
Amount: Maximum grants of $6,000 each will be awarded.
Eligibility: Mathematics educators or classroom teachers currently teaching mathematics at the grades Pre-K–6 level. The research must be a significant collaborative effort involving a college or university mathematics educator (a mathematics education researcher or a teacher of mathematics learning, teaching, or curriculum) and one or more grades Pre-K–6 classroom teachers.
The applicant must be a current (on or before October 15, 2014) Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM before the deadline.