National Science Foundation: Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST)Deadline: August 19, 2019
Innovative Technology Experiences for Students and Teachers (ITEST) is an applied research and development (R&D) program providing direct student learning opportunities in pre-kindergarten through high school (PreK-12). The learning opportunities are based on innovative use of technology to strengthen knowledge and interest in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and information and communication technology (ICT) careers.
To achieve this purpose, ITEST supports projects that engage students in technology-rich experiences that: (1) increase awareness and interest of STEM and ICT occupations; (2) motivate students to pursue appropriate education pathways to those occupations; and (3) develop STEM-specific disciplinary content knowledge and practices that promote critical thinking, reasoning, and communication skills needed for entering the STEM and ICT workforce of the future.
ITEST seeks proposals that pursue innovative instructional approaches and practices in formal and informal learning environments, in close collaboration with strategic partnerships. ITEST proposals should broaden participation of all students, particularly those in underrepresented and underserved groups in STEM fields and related education and workforce domains. ITEST supports three types of projects: (1) Exploring Theory and Design Principles (ETD); (2) Developing and Testing Innovations (DTI); and (3) Scaling, Expanding, and Iterating Innovations (SEI). ITEST also supports Synthesis and Conference proposals.
All ITEST proposals must address how they are:
- Designing innovations that meet ITEST program goals which include innovative use of technologies, innovative learning experiences, STEM workforce development, strategies for broadening participation, and strategic partnerships
- Measuring outcomes through high-quality research which includes high-quality research design, project evaluation, and dissemination of findings
Amount: Approximately $25,000,000-$30,000,000 is available to make 22-30 awards per year depending on the type of proposal and funding level, as follows:
- 6-8 awards for Exploring Theory and Design Principles for Innovations (ETD) with durations up to three years and budgets up to $400,000.
- 8-10 awards for Developing and Testing Innovations (DTI) with durations up to four years and budgets up to $1,500,000.
- 3-5 awards for Scaling, Expanding, and Iterating Innovations (SEI) with durations up to five years and budgets up to $3,000,000.
- 2-3 awards for Syntheses with durations up to two years and budgets up to $300,000.
- 2-3 awards for Conferences with durations of one year and budgets up to $100,000.
- In addition, ITEST intends to fund one Resource Center with duration up to three years and total funding up to $4,000,000 in FY 2020. This award may be made as a continuing award.
Eligibility: Institutions of Higher Education (IHEs); non-profit, non-academic organizations; for-profit organizations; state and local governments; unaffiliated individuals; foreign organizations; and other federal agencies.