New Mexico Governor’s Commission on Disability: Quality of Life Grant ProgramDeadline: May 31, 2018
The mission of the Governor’s Commission on Disability (GCD) is to improve the quality of life of all New Mexicans with disabilities. GCD works to address: economic self-sufficiency; social integration; political resolve; physical and program accessibility; and full rights of participation in the benefits of all individuals with disabilities.
As part of its mission, GCD maintains the Quality of Life Grants Program (QOL). QOL provides small grants to improve or enhance programs and services that increase the quality of life of all New Mexicans with disabilities. Applications can be submitted in one of three categories:
1. Service animal public awareness campaign: Develop a public relations media campaign in coordination with GCD regarding the Americans with Disabilities Act Title II and III and the New Mexico State Service Animal Act. This campaign will include the use of radio and television public service announcements, social media, newspaper articles and other media outlets. Recommended topics include:
- Proper service animal behavior
- Is an emotional support/comfort animal considered a service animal?
- Rights of business owners
- Responsibilities of owner/handler
- Other pertinent topics
2. Adaptive Sports Events in Rural Areas: Expand or enhance adaptive sports activities in rural and underserved areas. Include an explanation of how people with disabilities from rural and underserved areas will be able to participate.
3. Independent Living and Social Integration: Propose an expansion or enhancement of how and what social activities and community events will be accessible to individuals with disabilities, so that participants may integrate into the local community. Examples include transportation to events, entry fees, and scholarships. Priority will be given to rural and frontier applicants.
Amount: Awards may range up to $20,000.
Eligibility: New Mexico nonprofit organizations with 501(c)(3) status, schools, religious organizations, or tribal-based organizations.