New Mexico Public Education Department: Multilingual STEM Experiences for StudentsDeadline: January 13, 2020
The Multilingual STEM Experiences for Students initiative seeks to provide enriching multilingual science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) learning experiences for students in districts and charter schools. Grants will support applicants to:
- Reinvigorate STEM education by providing differentiated multilingual educational opportunities for students to enhance their academic excellence, socio-cultural competence, and critical consciousness
- Cultivate the academic engagement of multilingual learners by providing a multilingual STEM learning experience
- Create comprehensive culturally and linguistically responsive (CLR) instructional approaches to validate, affirm, build, and bridge the experiences of multilingual learners in STEM education
- Ensure that multilingual learners receive equitable access to STEM learning experiences
- Build educational experiences for multilingual students that allow students to develop language and STEM skills jointly
- Engage culturally and linguistically diverse parents and community effectively in multilingual students’ STEM experiences
Applications must be CLR. The following supporting areas may be used as alignment to providing a multilingual STEM education program. Best practices of CLR inform educators to utilize all resources to create school and classroom cultures that prioritize:
- Inclusiveness of every student
- Validation and affirmation of every culture and language
- Positive connections between academic content and student culture
- Emphasis on socio-emotional development of every student
- The belief that any student can premise high academic expectations regardless of any culture or language
Amount: A total of up to $60,000 is available.
Eligibility: New Mexico school districts and charter schools; institutions of higher education, including community colleges; community organizations, including non-profit organizations; or regional educational cooperatives.
Note: Potential applicants may request a 15-20 minute consultation from the New Mexico Public Education Department’s Language and Culture Division (LCD) by sending an email to Mayra.Valtierrez@state.nm.us. This open consultation for applicants period extends until December 27, 2019.