New Mexico Tourism Department: Tourism Development GrantDeadline: May 1, 2017
The New Mexico Tourism Grant program seeks to provide financial assistance in the development of new or expanded tourism initiatives that will lead to increased economic impact in New Mexico. Projects funded through this grant program will be given preference for future funding opportunities to market and promote the completed project.
The Tourism Development Grant supports organizations that can demonstrate their project’s ability to enhance the visitor experience and increase the potential for economic impact in the state of New Mexico. Projects should be:
- Visitor centered, focused on enhancing the visitor experience
- Aligned with the New Mexico True brand’s promise to deliver “adventure steeped in culture”
- Able to be completed by June 1, 2017
Preference will be given to projects that incorporate elements of “tangible tourism” and are focused in one or more of the following areas:
- Arts and Artisans
- Cultural Heritage
- Outdoor Recreation
Examples of Eligible Proposals:
- Digital infrastructure design and creation, such as mobile technology that will enhance the visitor experience
- Structural renovation or expansion aimed at providing a tangible tourism experience (teaching studio, artist space, cooking classes, etc.)
- Recreation area improvement such as development and signage (if project is on government property applicant must demonstrate proof of applicable environmental and other permits)
- Way finding signage throughout communities or regions for the purpose of improving the visitor experience
- Execution of a special event that demonstrates a new or expanded visitor experience (proposals will not be considered for special events less than three years old)
Preference will also be given to projects able to demonstrate the ability to leverage multiple funding sources.
Amount: Grants will range from $10,000-$50,000. A 1:1 match is required. Matching contributions may come from private sector partners and must be cash.
Eligibility: New Mexico counties and municipalities, tribal governments, or nonprofit organizations.
Note: Applications may be submitted earlier than May 1. The Tourism Department has indicated (in the FAQ document, online): “We are committed to reviewing each proposal as quickly as possible, and by having a rolling application process we hope to be able to respond quickly.”