NewSchools Venture Fund: Diverse LeadersDeadline: September 13, 2019
NewSchools Venture Fund invests in innovators with bold ideas to recruit, retain, and support Black and Latino leaders in education. The Fund’s goal is for Black and Latino leaders to represent at least 40 percent of the PreK-12 education workforce, mirroring the demographics of U.S. students today. Applicants might be:
- Recruiting new Black and Latino leaders into education
- Accelerating the careers of Black and Latino leaders already working in education
- Creating networks of Black and Latino leaders
- Building the capacity of education organizations to become more diverse, equitable, and inclusive
- Influencing the field to be more diverse, equitable, and inclusive, such as through research, design, policy, and/or advocacy
While the Fund prioritizes investing in early-stage organizations (0 to 2 years old), it also invests in new initiatives (0 to 2 years old) at existing organizations. Given its strategic focus, the Fund especially encourage entrepreneurs of color to participate in funding opportunities. In addition, all ventures (i.e., organizations or initiatives) must align with NewSchools’ overarching investment criteria (https://www.newschools.org/about-us/our-model/core-investment-criteria/).
Amount: One-year grants of $100,000-$200,000 are available, depending on the stage of the idea. After one year, ventures become eligible for additional support.
Eligibility: 501(c)3 non-profit organizations, those applying through a fiscal sponsor with 501(c)3 status, and individuals.