NewSchools Venture Fund: InventDeadline: February 5, 2020
Through Invent, NewSchools invest in teams of educators who want to launch new, innovative public schools that prepare young people to finish high school prepared and inspired to create and live the lives they want – good lives, full of opportunity, choices, connection, and meaning. These schools will reimagine the learning experience for students, particularly those from underserved communities. NewSchools Invent is a major part of NewSchools’ Innovative Schools portfolio.
Amount: Planning grants of $200,000 will be awarded during the critical planning period. The planning period is for a duration of up to 14 months. At the end of the planning phase, teams may apply for an investment that would support their first two to three years of operation.
Eligibility: To be considered for an Invent investment, applicants must:
- Plan to launch their first or second public school (charter or district) in Fall 2020
- Enroll students within the PK-12 grade span on a full-time basis
- Be eligible to receive public funding
- Meet all six investment criteria: 1. Passionate, capable, and diverse teams; 2. Engage the communities they aim to serve; 3. Reimagine the student experience; 4. Demonstrate a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion; 5. Plan appropriately and execute effectively; and 6. Aspire to expand their impact beyond a single school
- Charter applicants must: 1) Have or be working toward 501c3 nonprofit status; and 2) Have an approved charter or be on track to securing one
- District applicants must: 1) Have a formal letter of endorsement form the school board and superintendent; 2) Have or be working toward an agreement that ensures the school will have necessary academic and operational autonomies, as well as facilities and funding support; and 3) Have identified key members of the school leadership team
See funding announcement for further details on eligibility.