Progressive Multiplier FundDeadline: April 19, 2019
The Progressive Multiplier Fund’s (PMF’s) mission is to finance revenue generation projects for the progressive movement. PMF provides a resource center for progressive nonprofits on earned revenue techniques and offers grants for experimentation in revenue generation, as well as recoverable grants and loans for nonprofits for scaling up projects. PMF supports organizations that do some policy or legal advocacy work, civic engagement, or that are media organizations. Additionally, organizations must work on at least one of the PMF’s issue areas: Clean Energy, Climate Change, Corporate Accountability, Criminal Justice Reform, Democracy/Voting, Disability Rights, Economic Justice, Education Justice, Environmental Justice, Gun Control, Health Care, HIV/AIDS, Housing, Human Rights, Immigrant Rights, LGBTQ Rights, Mass Incarceration, Minimum Wage, Neighborhood Issues, Protecting Medicare, Protecting Social Security, Puerto Rico Justice, Racial Justice, Refugee Crisis, Reproductive Rights, Gender Equity, Social Justice, Wilderness Protection, Women’s Rights, Workers’ Rights, and other progressive issues.
Funding is awarded through two funds:
- Test and Innovation Fund: Grants support nonprofits interested in testing new revenue generation models, as well as testing the replication of revenue generation programs that have worked in other organizations. Successful revenue generating projects can be scaled up with funding through the PMF Growth Fund.
- Growth Fund: Provides recoverable grants and market rate loans to support organizations seeking to expand their revenue streams and have a greater impact. This is a resource for organizations that wish to scale up existing revenue projects.
Grant funds should pay for the entire cost of the fundraising effort, so that the organization can determine if the effort can truly return a 2:1 return over three to five years. This includes consultants, vendors, tools, staff time, and other direct or indirect expenses of the project (running ads, purchasing lists, renting lists, etc).
PMF’s grant criteria is:
- The project should focus on engaging individuals who can be members, consumers, or donors (under $1,000)
- The applicant has the right team and capacity (in-house or in-house with partners or vendors) to execute the program
- There is a strong case that the program, if scaled, could raise the applicant organization over $1,000,000 per year or could be replicated by other organizations to generate millions for the movement
- PMF has the right to share lessons learned, techniques, overall results, and materials used with all other progressive organizations
- PMF will only fund technology with grants if it is a small part of the project
Amount: Dependent on program, as follows:
- Test and Innovation Fund: Grants range from $1,000 to $25,000, with an average grant size of $10,000
- Growth Fund: Grants range up to $120,000
Eligibility: U.S.-based, U.S.-focused nonprofits and their subsidiaries. PMF funds 501(c)(3)s, 501(c)(4)s, projects housed in these entities, or LLCs in which a 501(c)(3) or (c)(4) are the only members. Generally, PMF funds organizations with an annual budget of $500,000 or more. If an organization does not have an annual budget of $500,000 and would like to apply, they may contact the foundation to see if their project would qualify.