Solidaire: Movement Infrastructure FundDeadline: April 23, 2021
Solidaire is a community of donor organizers who mobilize quickly to get critical resources to the frontlines of social justice movements throughout the U.S. The Movement Infrastructure Fund invests in bold visions that are often overlooked and underfunded. Supporting work that is led by those most impacted by injustice, the Fund invests in movements that work to dismantle and disrupt extractive, exploitative, and oppressive systems. The Fund seeks imaginative, creative solutions that lift human dignity and agency. Examples of movement infrastructure include:
- Buildings and land
- New incorporations or entities
- Democratic governance structures
- Expertise and skill building
- System development and sustained people power
The Fund also welcomes participatory research projects that are led by/informed by folks directly impacted and which look to create or invest more deeply in movement infrastructure projects with broad impact.
In 2021, Solidaire is interested in movement infrastructure proposals that support resistance through systems and tools, as well as proposals that build transformative futures through agency and scale. Examples include:
- Starting or expanding a community-owned broadband initiative
- Building out communications tools or staff to advance narrative or culture change
- Intervening on cases against corporations or the government with progressive legal assistance
- Expanding organizers in rural places
- Security training and equipment purchases
- Campaigns for local housing solutions
Amount: Grants will range in size from $20,000–$200,000.
Eligibility: Organizations (C3, C4, LLCs, and others) that have an organizational budget under $3 million. Grant requests may be to support time-bound work for a 12–24 month period or for multi-year support (3–5 years).
Note: Work should be led by the most directly impacted people working on the front lines.