State of New Mexico Governor’s Commission on Disability: Quality of Life Grant ProgramDeadline: May 31, 2019
The mission of the Governor’s Commission on Disability (GCD) is to “improve the quality of life of all New Mexicans with disabilities. GCD works to address: economic self-sufficiency; social integration; political resolve; physical and program accessibility; and full rights of participation in the benefits of all individuals with disabilities.”
As part of its mission, GCD continues the Quality of Life Grant Program (QOL). QOL provides small grants to New Mexico organizations to improve or enhance programs and services that increase the quality of life of all New Mexicans with disabilities.
Applications may be submitted to address one of four categories:
- Technology: Basic technology training using smart phones and computers for individuals with disabilities in rural areas and/or on tribal lands. This should include the use of basic smart phone features and use of the computer for searching the internet, writing documents, accessing e-mail, and paying bills.
- Physical Access: Physical accessibility projects (excluding residential modifications) in rural areas and/or on tribal lands of the state in order to provide greater accessibility for people with disabilities. This could include restroom modifications, accessible parking, accessible path of travel, and/or accessible play areas.
- Arts: Artistic activities for individuals with disabilities in rural areas and/or on tribal lands. This may include projects in visual and performing arts such as ceramics, drawing, painting, photography, theatre, dance, music, and writing poetry.
- Social Integration: Expanded or enhanced social activities and/or community events focused on integration. This shall include groups consisting of individuals with and without disabilities.
Amount: Grants will not exceed $20,000. Applications with lesser amounts are encouraged. GCD will negotiate the final award amount.
Eligibility: To qualify, grant applicants must:
- Be a New Mexico non-profit organization
- Provide programs for, or provide services to, people with disabilities
- Be tax exempt under the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) code, including non-profit, 501(c)3 organizations, schools, religious organizations, or Tribal-based organizations
- Provide an official copy of tax-exempt status