The Home Depot Foundation: Veteran Housing GrantsDeadline: July 22, 2019
The Home Depot Foundation’s Veteran Housing Grants Program awards grants to organizations for the new construction or rehabilitation of permanent supportive housing and transitional facilities for veterans. Eligible projects include:
- New construction and rehabilitation of multifamily, permanent supportive housing
- Grants will be awarded solely for the physical construction or repair of housing for veterans (hard costs)
- Target population of honorably discharged veterans, at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI)
- 75% of the development/program’s funding sources have been identified at the time of proposal submission
- Project will commence within twelve months of proposal submission
- At least 20% of the units must be reserved for veterans
- Proposals requesting above $100,000 must provide evidence of a third party binding agreement that ensures the units are: a) Reserved for veterans; b) Occupied by veterans for a minimum of 15 years for rental or 3 years for homeownership (i.e., project-based HUD Veterans Affairs Supportive Housing (VASH), other funder requirement, deed restriction, zoning requirement, etc.)
- Supportive services must be provided
Amount: Awards typically range from $100,000-$500,000. The amount of funding requested should not exceed $20,000 per veteran unit. Home Depot Foundation grant funding must comprise less than 50% of the total development cost of the project/program.
- Tax-exempt, nonprofit organizations that have been in good standing with the Internal Revenue Service for at least 5 years
- Organizations should have a current operating budget of at least $300,000 and audited financial statements from the past three years
- Organizations must have a 15+ year ownership stake in the development
- Organizations must be involved in the Continuum of Care or local collaboration to end homelessness in their community
Note: Organizations or individuals with projects focused on single home construction or repair would not qualify for this program and may be a better fit for Home Depot’s Community Impact Grant programs (https://corporate.homedepot.com/grants/community-impact-grants).