Third Wave Fund: Mobilize Power FundDeadline: June 4, 2019
The Mobilize Power Fund is a rapid response fund for direct action, community mobilizing, and healing justice. The Fund supports the leadership of young women of color, trans, gender non-conforming, queer, and intersex youth under 35 in social movements. The Fund considers the following criteria is important:
- Youth Leadership: Young women of color and/or trans, gender non-conforming, intersex activists, and/or queer youth under 35 are a core part of planning and decision-making processes. Campaigns, efforts, or organizations are led by and for communities impacted by the event or situation that the applicant is responding to.
- Gender Justice Focus: The applicant’s political analysis and project show how the issue(s) it is responding to addresses or is connected to patriarchy, transphobia, homophobia, gender inequity, or gender-based violence. Gender Justice activism includes racial justice, economic justice, immigration justice, reproductive justice, health and HIV/AIDS justice, trans/intersex/queer justice, disability justice, healing justice, anti-violence, and/or anti-criminalization work.
- Community Power Building: The proposal’s strategies and activities help build power for youth-led gender justice activism, organizing, and/or healing in the applicant’s communities, and are connected to the goal(s), outcome(s), and/or changes that are desired as a result of the proposed actions.
- Urgency or Time-Sensitivity: The event or situation the applicant is responding to was unanticipated, requires urgent or timely action, and/or leverages recent attention or media coverage.
The Mobilize Power Fund may support the following:
- Actions against criminalization and violence
- Urgent community organizing or direct action
- Unanticipated legislative or ballot initiative campaigns
- Leadership training or participatory action research
- Healing and healing justice work
- Legal or bail fees
- Marches or rallies
- Conflict mediation/resolution
Amount: Grants of up to $7,500 are made per group. Coalitions or joint applications can request up to $15,000.
Eligibility: Coalitions, informal groups, and nonprofit organizations. Organizations do not need a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status or a fiscal sponsor to receive funding. Third Wave Fund strongly encourages grassroots organizations, groups, and collectives led by and for young people of color and low-income communities to apply. The Fund prioritizes organizations with budgets under $500,000 and that are based in areas with limited access to philanthropic resources.