U.S. Department of Health and Human Services: Empowering Communities to Address Behavioral Health and Chronic Pain through Chronic Disease Self-Management Education Program
The Empowering Communities to Address Behavioral Health and Chronic Pain through Chronic Disease Self-Management Education Program will support successful applicants to develop capacity for, deliver, and sustain evidence-based self-management education and support programs that address behavioral health and/or chronic pain among older adults and adults with disabilities.
- Goal 1: Through robust partnerships, develop a result-based, comprehensive strategy for addressing behavioral health and/or chronic pain among older adults and adults with disabilities living in the community
- Goal 2: Increase the number of older adults and adults with disabilities who participate in evidence-based self-management education and/or self-management support programs to empower them to better manage these chronic condition(s), while concurrently pursuing the sustainability of these programs beyond the end of the grant period
Applicants must propose to deliver one or more chronic disease self-management education programs (CDSME) and/or self-management support programs. A CDSME program is an umbrella term that refers to community-based education programs specifically designed to enhance patient self-management of chronic illnesses, as well as focus on building multiple health behaviors and generalizable skills such as goal setting, decision making, problem-solving, and self-monitoring. A self management support program is defined as a community-based, behavioral change intervention that is proven to increase one or more skills or behaviors relevant to chronic disease self-management such as physical activity and medication management. Programs proposed must be on the list of pre-approved interventions found in Appendices B and C of the solicitation and detailed below.
Appendix B: Listing of evidence-based CDSME Programs:
- Better Choices, Better Health® (Online Chronic Disease Self-Management Program): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/online.programs/chronic-disease/
- BRI Care Consultation: http://www.benrose.org/bricareconsultation/
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving Program: https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/cancer-thriving-and-surviving
- Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (CDSMP): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/chronic-disease-self-management
- Chronic Pain Self-Management Program (CPSMP): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/chronic-pain-self-management
- Diabetes Self-Management Program (DSMP): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/diabetes-self-management
- EnhanceWellness: http://www.projectenhance.org/enhancewellness.aspx
- Health Coaches for Hypertension Control: http://www.clemson.edu/cbshs/centers-institutes/aging/resources/health-coaches/index.html
- Living Well in the Community: http://healthycommunityliving.com/living-well-in-the-community.html
- Positive Self-Management Program for HIV: https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/hiv-positive-self-management
- ¡Sí, Yo Puedo Controlar Mí Diabetes!: https://fch.tamu.edu/programs/diabetes-management/si-yo-puedo-controlar-mi-diabetes/
- Tomando Control de su Salud (Spanish Chronic Disease Self-Management Program): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group-spanish/tomando-control-desu-salud
- Programma de Manejo Personal de la Diabetes (Spanish Diabetes Self-Management Program): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group-spanish/programa-de-manejopersonal-de-la…
- Toolkit for Active Living with Chronic Conditions:* https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/mail-program/
- Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP): https://copelandcenter.com/about
- Workplace Chronic Disease Self-Management Program (wCDSMP): https://www.selfmanagementresource.com/programs/small-group/workplace-chronic-diseaseself-management/
*The Toolkit for Active Living with Chronic Conditions program (Toolkit) must be offered in conjunction with another evidence-based CDSME program listed in Appendix B – it cannot be proposed as an applicant’s sole or primary program.
APPENDIX C: Listing of Self-Management Support Programs:
- Active Living Every Day: http://www.activeliving.info/
- Arthritis Foundation Aquatic Program: http://www.aeawave.com/Arthritis.aspx
- Arthritis Foundation Exercise Program: http://www.aeawave.com/Arthritis.aspx
- Eat Smart, Move More, Weigh Less: https://esmmweighless.com/
- Enhance Fitness: http://www.projectenhance.org/enhancefitness.aspx
- Fit and Strong!: https://www.fitandstrong.org/
- Geri-Fit: https://www.gerifit.com/
- HealthMatters Program: http://www.healthmattersprogram.org/
- Healthy IDEAS (Identifying Depression, Empowering Activities for Seniors): http://healthyideasprograms.org/
- Healthy Moves for Aging Well: https://www.picf.org/
- HomeMeds: https://www.picf.org/homemeds/
- On the Move: http://www.onthemove.pitt.edu/
- Program to Encourage Active, Rewarding Lives for Seniors (PEARLS): http://www.pearlsprogram.org/
- Screening, Brief Intervention, and Referral to Treatment (SBIRT): https://www.integration.samhsa.gov/clinical-practice/sbirt
- Walk with Ease (Self-Guided and Group Formats): https://www.arthritis.org/living-with-arthritis/tools-resources/walk-with-ease/
Amount: A total of $1,890,284 is available to make approximately seven grants that range from $200,000-$300,000 for the entire three year project period.
Eligibility: Domestic public or private non-profit entities including state and local governments, Indian tribal governments and organizations (American Indian/Alaskan Native/Native American), faith-based organizations, community-based organizations, hospitals, and institutions of higher education.
To help ensure a wider geographic reach, it is unlikely that more than one applicant per state will be funded. See solicitation for further details around eligibility requirements and expectations.
This post was filed under: