U.S. Department of Justice: Adult Reentry and Employment Strategic Planning Program
The Adult Reentry and Employment Strategic Planning Program aims to fund the development of strategic plans that are comprehensive, collaborative, and multisystemic in their approach to increase public safety by reducing recidivism and improving employability in offenders returning to communities from incarceration. These plans should include an assessment of the current system and propose solutions to make assessment-driven referrals to ensure successful transition from correctional facilities to the community. This program requires intensive partnership and coordination with state, local, and tribal agencies to ensure that offenders leaving incarceration are connected to the most appropriate reentry and employment services, based on their assessed risk and needs.
The main deliverables of the activities funded under this solicitation will include development of a comprehensive strategic plan and demonstration of the steps taken in its development. The developmental steps taken must reflect the mandatory requirements (objectives) described below:
- Establish a cross-disciplinary, executive-level steering committee comprised of relevant leaders and administrators of relevant agencies to guide the strategic planning process
- Establish a cross-disciplinary working group comprised of relevant state, tribal, territorial, or local leaders and representatives of relevant agencies, service providers, nonprofit organizations, and other key stakeholders to guide the strategic planning process
- Complete a comprehensive process analysis and systems mapping that includes risk-need and job readiness screenings and assessments, program referrals, information-sharing processes, and transition planning protocols, as well as an inventory of the existing service capacity and alignment of programs with best practices
- Create an industry-advisory group of employers to advise on program development and help promote direct connections to employment
- Develop a plan for integrating the best practices from the corrections and workforce development fields to build the capacity of—or establish new—correctional and community-based education and employment programs aimed to reduce recidivism and improve employment outcomes among those most likely to recidivate
Note: Refer to the solicitation for additional details regarding mandatory objectives outlined above and for expected deliverables.
Amount: A total of $1,200,000 is available to make six awards of up to $200,000 each. Specifically, this funding will provide for six 12-month Adult Reentry and Employment Strategic Planning Program grants. Upon completion of their strategic plans, and pending federal appropriations in FY 2019, award recipients will be invited to submit applications for 24-month FY19 Adult Reentry and Employment Implementation Program grants for up to $1,000,000 each.
Eligibility: State correctional agencies (state departments of corrections parole or probation), State Administering Agencies (SAAs), and federally recognized Indian tribes.
This post was filed under: