U.S. Soccer Foundation: Safe Places to PlayDeadline: September 30, 2016
Safe Places to Play transforms abandoned courts, empty schoolyards, vacant lots and the like into state-of-the-art soccer fields for kids. The Foundation awards grants three times a year to underserved communities to help cover the costs of lighting, irrigation, construction, surfacing and enhancement. Safe Places to Play grants are available in four categories:
- Synthetic Turf: Grants are awarded for the installation of a synthetic turf field from Hellas Construction, Inc. This funding can be applied toward new field construction or the refurbishment of existing turf fields.
- Lighting: Grants are awarded for the purchase of Musco Lighting products to light futsal, natural grass, or synthetic turf fields.
- Irrigation: Grants are awarded for the purchase of Hunter Irrigation products to irrigate natural grass or synthetic turf fields (while irrigation is not required for synthetic turf, it is recommended for cleaning and cooling purposes).
- Sport Court: Grants are awarded for the installation of Sport Court, which is an innovative, modular sport surface (non-turf) that delivers superior playability, speed, safety, shock absorption, and traction. It is perfect for small-sided soccer or futsal. With its engineering-grade polypropylene surface, a Sport Court is quick to install and can be easily customized to fit the needs of your soccer project.
Amount: Varies by type:
- Synthetic Turf: Up to 10% of the Hellas project quote
Lighting: Typically in the range of 15%-30% of project total, with a maximum of $25,000 per grant for single fields and $50,000 for multi-field projects
Irrigation: Typically in the range of $4,000 – $15,000, with a maximum of $15,000 per grant
Sport Court: Typically in the range of 15% – 50% of project total, with a maximum of $30,000 per grant
Eligibility: Nonprofit, tax-exempt organizations located in and proposing a project in the United States. Applicants should have at least 50% of the total project cost secured at time of application.