American Academy of Family Physicians Foundation: Family Medicine Cares USA Grant ProgramDeadline: September 15, 2017
The Family Medicine Cares USA grant program helps new and existing free clinics to care for the uninsured in areas of need across the United States by providing new grants for the purchase of tangible items, such as exam tables, EHR systems, and medical equipment. Family Medicine Cares USA also gives American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) members, residents, and students the opportunity to volunteer their time and talents.
Amount: Up to $10,000. The grant is intended to be used to purchase durable, sustainable equipment and instruments necessary for diagnosis and treatment. Start-up disposable supplies up to $500 are allowable.
Eligibility: New, free clinics that are nearing completion of the Volunteers in Medicine (VIM) clinic development process, have an AAFP member in a leadership role within the clinic, and meet specified criteria that include:
- Provide services at no cost to all patients
- Have a primary care focus
- Target populations of the uninsured and medically underserved with income restrictions
- Are nondenominational and open to all members of the community
- Serve adults (and children as needed if SCHIP program not available)
- Will use active family physician members, residents, medical students, and/or retired family physicians as volunteers
- Demonstrate collaboration with other community organizations
Preference is given to clinics that:
- Have partnerships/collaborations with hospitals, residency programs, medical schools, AAFP chapters and/or Chapter Foundations
- Have a Medical Director that is an AAFP member