APS Education Foundation: Guhl Literacy AwardsDeadline: September 6, 2016
The Guhl Trust has made it possible for school leaders to apply for a Guhl Literacy Award to improve literacy at the PreK – 5 level. Guhl Literacy Awards are intended to fund programs or projects with the potential to serve large numbers of students and to improve the literacy of students in a measurable way. The APS Education Foundation envisions its grant programs as an opportunity to pilot new, innovative, or promising programs in the district and seeks applications which reflect that vision. The ultimate goal is to create a project – or continue a project – that advances early literacy in a measurable way.
Eligible proposals include those that:
- Serve an entire school or a large percentage of students, such as a grade level or department
- Focus on meeting the needs of and improving early literacy outcomes for students
- Use measurable outcomes to determine the success of the project
- Be well conceived and clearly written
- Represent a good fiscal investment for the APS Education Foundation and its donor community
Amount: Two awards of $50,000 each are expected to be made.
Eligibility: Eligible applicants are school principals or members of the school’s administrative team. If the applicant is not the principal, the applicant must certify that the principal has read the proposal, including the budget, and supports the application. A Guhl Literacy Award will not be funded without the full support of school administration. Only APS employees may submit applications, not employees of partner non-profits. Elementary schools or coalitions of elementary schools who can put forward an innovative plan for advancing early literacy are ideal applicants.