Avon: Breast Health Outreach ProgramDeadline: August 19, 2016
The mission of the Avon Breast Health Outreach Program (BHOP) is to navigate medically underserved women and men to breast health education, screening and treatment services. Medically underserved populations – including low income, un- or under-insured, and other marginalized populations – need targeted, customized approaches to enable them to obtain regular screening mammograms and clinical breast exams. Successful programs include:
- Culturally-competent educational strategies
- Dedicated outreach, education and navigation staff, with specialized language and communications skills, who can reach women where they live, work and worship
- Personalized assistance to those who have difficulty accessing healthcare
The Avon BHOP seeks to support programs that:
- Recruit women for both first time screening and annual screening
- Develop partnerships between community-based outreach and patient navigation providers and local medical providers
- Work with healthcare providers to ensure timely and appropriate clinical follow-up of abnormal screening results
- Educate young people about individual breast cancer risk, and when necessary and appropriate, help link them to services
- Educate older people about Medicare coverage of annual screening mammograms and assist them in obtaining the service from providers who accept Medicare
Amount: Grants will range from $30,000-$60,000 and average $45,000. The amount is commensurate with the number of individuals to be served (see the RFP in link at bottom).
Eligibility: Private, non-government, non-profit organizations (with Federal non-profit status) in the U.S., Guam, and Puerto Rico. In addition:
- Avon BHOP seeks to award at least 30% of the grants to organizations with operating budgets under $2,000,000.
- Avon BHOP seeks to fund projects in the 39 Avon walk cities as well as states with high breast cancer incidence and/or morbidity. 2017 Avon 39 Cities: San Francisco, CA; Santa Barbara/Los Angeles, CA; Washington, DC; Chicago, IL; Boston, MA; New York, NY; and Houston, TX. States with high breast cancer rates are found at the following links (New Mexico is not among these states): https://gis.cancer.gov/mapstory/breast/ and http://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/statistics/state.htm.
- Native American Tribes are encouraged to apply to the Avon BHOP and may do so through or in partnership with Native American non-profit organizations.
While New Mexico is not a priority area, Avon will consider applications from all eligible jurisdictions and seeks to have a nationwide impact.