Mid Atlantic Arts Foundation: USArtists International
USArtists International (USAI) supports performances by American artists at important cultural festivals and arts marketplaces around the globe. Committed to the presence of U.S.-based artists on world stages, USAI provides grants to ensembles and individual performers in dance, music, and theatre invited to perform at significant international festivals.
USAI encourages and promotes the vibrant diversity of American artists and creative expression in the performing arts by expanding opportunity and exposure to international audiences, encouraging international cultural exchange, and enhancing the creative and professional development of U.S. based artists by providing connections with presenters, curators, and artists around the world. USAI extends the reach and impact of professional touring artists and ensembles from the U.S. and is committed to expanded touring opportunities for continued sustainability of U.S. artists.
The current opportunity will provide support for projects taking place between December 15, 2017 and December 14, 2018.
Amount: Grants of up to $15,000 are awarded to support artist fees, travel, accommodations, per diem, shipping, and visa preparation.
Eligibility: Applicants must:
- Be a dance, music, or theater ensemble or individual artist, that work at a professional level; festivals and/or curators cannot apply on behalf of U.S. artists
- Be a nonprofit organization, or apply using a U.S.-based fiscal sponsor that is designated a nonprofit organization
- If an ensemble, have the majority of its performing members be U.S. citizens or permanent residents.
- For projects with international collaboration, the majority of performers must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents; the lead creative artist of a collaborative ensemble must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- If an individual performer, be invited to perform as an individual without accompaniment and be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Currently reside in the U.S. or its territories
- Be invited to perform at a significant international festival or performing arts market that meets the eligibility guidelines below
- Not have received a USAI grant within the calendar year, regardless of when the festival(s) or market(s) take place
Eligible festivals must:
- Be sponsored or organized primarily by a non-U.S. based organization
- Be curated and not require registration, application, performance, or any other type of fees from performers to exceed $250
- Be international in scope with performers representing at least two countries outside the host country, or have a U.S. theme with representation from at least three U.S. ensembles and/or solo performers
- Be open and marketed to the general public
- Provide the applicant with a signed letter of invitation or signed contract to perform at the festival, stating the details of the festival’s financial or in-kind contributions towards eligible project expenses
Eligible Performing Arts Markets must:
- Meet all festival eligibility requirements listed above with the exception that they do not need to be open and marketed to the general public
Eligible engagements must:
- Be paid or artists must receive in-kind contributions towards eligible project expenses
- Be at least 20 minutes in duration, which may be comprised of single or multiple works or excerpts from longer pieces
Note: Additional deadlines for this opportunity will occur on December 1, 2017 and April 5, 2018.
This post was filed under: