National Council of Teachers of Mathematics: 7-12 Classroom Research GrantsDeadline: November 4, 2016
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) is accepting proposals to support and encourage classroom-based research in pre-college mathematics education in collaboration with college or university mathematics educators. The award is for individual classroom teachers. The research must be a collaborative effort involving a college or university mathematics educator (a mathematics education researcher or a teacher of mathematics learning, teaching, or curriculum) and one or more grades 7-12 classroom teachers (individuals who spend half or more of their work time teaching in the classroom).
The proposed project may include, but is not restricted to, research on the following topics:
- Curriculum development and implementation
- Involvement of at-risk or minority students
- Students’ thinking about a particular mathematics concept or set of concepts
- Connection of mathematics to other disciplines
- Focused learning and teaching of mathematics with embedded use of technology (any acquisition of equipment must support the proposed plan but not be the primary focus of the grant)
- Innovative assessment or evaluation strategies
Amount: Grants of up to $6,000 each will be awarded.
Eligibility: The applicant must be a current (on or before October 14, 2016) Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM, if a 9-12 teacher, or one who teaches at a college or university. Seventh or eighth grade teacher applicants may be a current Full Individual or E-Member of NCTM or teach at a school having a current NCTM Pre-K-8 school membership.