New Mexico Public Education Department: Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Immigrant Family Engagement
The Culturally and Linguistically Responsive (CLR) Immigrant Family Engagement solicitation seeks to develop services and programming to increase immigrant parent and family engagement with transformative family engagement and cultural and linguistic responsiveness. Grants will support applicants to:
- Cultivate parent and family engagement of immigrant parents through transformative family engagement and cultural responsiveness
- Build a foundation of trust including healthy and authentic relationships with immigrant families to empower their engagement in the academic achievement, college and career readiness, secure identity development, social well-being, and life-long learning of their children
- Create comprehensive CLR parent and family engagement approaches to validate, affirm, build, and bridge the experiences of immigrant families
- Conduct trainings, workshops, and seminars to help immigrant families to develop, carry, and sustain leadership in school decisions
- Build programs and approaches for immigrant parents that prioritize two-way communication to close the gap between school culture and home culture
CLR Family Engagement services and programming may provide opportunities for immigrant parents to:
- Apply need assessments to learn more about immigrant families’ cultural and linguistic backgrounds
- Analyze the needs of immigrant families effectively to transform their understanding of education and school culture in the U.S.
- Design curriculum and programs in the district/schools to ensure that immigrant parents and families feel safe and comfortable in being involved and included in their children’s education
- Recruit parents and families from different communities to assign parental leadership in the district/schools
- Design professional communication agenda to inform parents about parental rights in education, state and federal laws, and school policy
- Develop resources for parents to provide personal growth opportunity in other areas such as parenting, health issues, coping with trauma and stress, finance, and career development
- Provide opportunities for immigrant parents and families to become advocates for their children to be college and career ready, secure in their identity, community, and life
To meet the proposed alignment with the CLR Family Engagement, applicants must demonstrate:
- The number of immigrant students that attend the school/district
- The percentage of immigrant student population in relation to the overall student population
- The specific needs encountered by immigrant student population and immigrant families and parents
- How the CLR Family Engagement will reinvigorate immigrant student population’s academic achievement, identity development, and college and career readiness
- How the CLR Family Engagement will help transform schools into places of multicultural education and CLR learning and teaching
Amount: Up to a total of $100,000 is available.
Eligibility: Public school districts and charter schools; New Mexico institutions of higher education, including community colleges; community organizations, including nonprofit organizations; and New Mexico regional educational cooperatives serving substantial numbers of immigrant students and their families.
This post was filed under: