NM Public Education Department: Indian Education School District and Cultural Inclusion InitiativeDeadline: May 12, 2017
The purpose of the Indian Education School District Initiative is to provide a grant for a one year period to New Mexico public school districts, namely the twenty-three (23) school districts, and district-chartered or state-chartered schools that enroll a significant number of American Indian students for the purpose of improving academic and cultural achievement opportunities in alignment with the requirements of the Indian Education Act.
The Public Education Department (PED)-Indian Education Division (IED) seeks select Local Education Agencies (LEAs) that will receive state funding for implementing quality programs in the following priority areas:
- Increasing attendance and reducing truancy
- Improving educational opportunities for American Indian students to keep them engaged in school and on a pathway to college and/or career success (i.e. Academic enrichment programs, after-school/Saturday/summer programs, project based learning opportunities geared specifically toward American Indian students, etc.)
- Improve student outcomes by strengthening culturally responsive learning environments (i.e. culturally and linguistically responsive teaching, diversity and cultural sensitivity training etc.)
- Supporting the maintenance of Native language (Note: Applicants must demonstrate how this grant will be used in conjunction with other language funding streams available for supporting Native language programs in public schools.)
- Addressing challenges that exist across schools and school systems (i.e. transition-planning, reduction in student mobility, addressing academic gaps, etc.)
Programs may be funded July 1, 2017 through June 30, 2018.
Amount: Different funding amounts will be available, depending on which Indian Education Priority areas are addressed. Amounts will range from $1,000 to $60,000; full tier descriptions available in the RFP.
Eligibility: Eligible applicants must be one of the 23 New Mexico public school districts and/or state-chartered or school district-chartered schools identified as Native-serving institutions. Individual schools, teacher-led projects, community-led projects, parent-led or student-led projects may be considered if submitted through an LEA or district-chartered school, with only one application permitted per LEA or district-chartered school. Applications should demonstrate that consultation with local Tribes and other American Indian stakeholders such as parents, teachers and students has taken place.