Solution Search: Climate Change Needs Behavior ChangeDeadline: August 7, 2018
Solution Search is looking for solutions that apply behavior change insights to inspire and enable people to change the way they consume – the way they cook, eat, dispose of waste, purchase goods, travel, and more. This includes campaigns and efforts that:
- Increase plant-rich diets
- Reduce end-user food waste
- Increase adoption of clean cookstoves
- Increase demand for products such as locally-grown staple trees, crops grown through regenerative or conservation agriculture, kelp, or certified sustainable wood
- Reduce consumption of energy, water, or relevant products, such as paper or cotton
- And otherwise reduce greenhouse gas emitting behaviors amongst individuals, households and communities
Behavior adoption strategies are categorized into three core approaches:
- Emotional appeals: Unleash the power of emotions to drive change
- Social incentives: Change social norms to influence adoption
- Choice architecture: Utilize context and timing to support change
Amount: An early entrant prize of $5,000 will be awarded to the best entry received by June 1, 2018. Two additional $25,000 grande prize winners will be awarded, including one prize to the Judges Choice (selected by the Solution Search panel and one to the Peoples Choice (the recipient of the most public votes). Winners will also participate in a workshop in Washington DC with fellow change-makers and have the opportunity to share the proposed solution globally.
Eligibility: All organizations who have a proven solution in working with people to adopt climate-friendly behaviors.