Third Wave: Own Our Own Power FundDeadline: July 25, 2017
The Own Our Power Fund will make capacity building grants for projects that seek to increase the agency communities have over their organizations by supporting leadership, sustainability, and self-representation. Types of projects this fund will support are detailed below:
- Leadership – supporting communities most impacted to lead the work. Support will be provided for: 1) executive leadership transitions that intentionally shift leadership to a member or members of the community; and 2) new leaders who come from the community to receive coaching, skills-building, or training.
- Sustainability – developing sustainable revenue models and fundraising strategies. Support will target: 1) transforming the model of the organization to be more sustainable; 2) mergers or other efforts that pool resources between organizations; and 3) building grassroots fundraising capacity.
- Self-representation – harnessing the power of communities telling their own stories. Support will be provided for: 1) participatory research projects that train and empower community members to conduct their own research; 2) projects that allow community members to harness the power of storytelling; and 3) building out strategic communications capacity.
Amount: One and two-year grants of up to $25,000 will be made.
- Grassroots organizations with an annual budget of up to $200,000 that are a 501(c)3 or are fiscally sponsored by a 501(c)3 organization
- Organizations that are committed to building the power and leadership of young people under 35 to achieve structural change
- Organizations that are currently led by or transitioning leadership to young women, trans, queer, gender non-conforming, and intersex youth of color, and low-income youth
- Organizations that address the root causes of oppression and use an intersectional approach to gender justice
- Priority will be given to organizations that focus on communities, issue areas, and regions that are philanthropically under-resourced