U.S. Department of Education: Native American and Alaska Native Children in School ProgramDeadline: May 7, 2018
The Native American and Alaska Native Children in School (NAM) program aims to develop and enhance capacity to provide effective instruction and support to Native American students, including Native Hawaiian and Native American Pacific Islander students, who are identified as English learners (ELs). The goal of this program is to support the teaching, learning, and studying of Native American languages while also increasing the English language proficiency and academic achievement of students served.
The program includes one absolute priority and one invitational priority, as follows:
- Absolute priority (must be met in order to apply): Projects that support the teaching, learning, and studying of Native American languages while also increasing the English language proficiency of the children served.
- Invitational priority: Projects that provide families with evidence-based strategies for promoting literacy. This may include providing families with access to books or other physical or digital materials or content about how to support their child’s reading development, or providing family literacy activities.
Amount: A total of $2,300,000 is available to make up to eight awards that range from $275,000-$325,000 per year and average $287,500 per year. The project period is for 60 months.
Eligibility: The following entities, when they operate elementary, secondary, or postsecondary schools primarily for Native American children (including Alaska Native children), are eligible applicants under this program:
- Indian tribes
- Tribally sanctioned educational authorities
- Native Hawaiian or Native American Pacific Islander native language educational organizations
- Elementary schools or secondary schools that are operated or funded by the Department of the Interior’s Bureau of Indian Education, or a consortium of these schools
- Elementary schools or secondary schools operated under a contract with or grant from the Bureau of Indian Education in consortium with another such school or a tribal or community organization
- Elementary schools or secondary schools operated by the Bureau of Indian Education and an institution of higher education (IHE), in consortium with an elementary school or secondary school operated under a contract with or a grant from the Bureau of Indian Education or a tribal or community organization