U.S. Department of Energy: Energy Infrastructure Deployment on Tribal LandsDeadline: May 1, 2019
The Energy Infrastructure Deployment on Tribal Lands program is consistent with the principles of tribal sovereignty and self-determination, and with an all of-the-above energy strategy that recognizes the breadth of energy resources on Tribal Lands, as well as each Tribe’s right to use them as they see fit.
This program seeks projects that are fuel and technology neutral to: (1) install energy generating system(s) and/or energy efficiency measure(s) for Tribal Building(s) (Topic Area 1); or (2) deploy community-scale energy generating system(s) on Tribal Lands (Topic Area 2); or (3) install energy system(s) for autonomous operation (independent of the traditional centralized electric power grid) to power a single or multiple essential tribal facilities during emergency situations or for tribal community resilience (Topic Area 3).
Topic Area 1: Energy Generating System(s) and/or Energy Efficiency Measure(s) for Tribal Building(s)
- Energy Generating System(s) (Topic Area 1.a.)
- Multiple Energy Efficiency Measures (Topic Area 1.b.)
- Energy Generating System(s) and/or Energy Efficiency Measure(s) (Topic Area 1.c.)
Topic Area 2: Community-Scale Energy Generating System(s) Deployment
Topic Area 3: Energy System(s) for Autonomous (Independent) Operation
- Powering Essential Tribal Facilities (Topic Area 3.a.)
- Tribal Community Resilience (Topic Area 3.b.)
Note that projects to be proposed under Topic Area 3 are intended to be for either: (1) energy system(s) that are normally grid-connected, but can disconnect and function autonomously (independent of the traditional centralized electric power grid), or (2) energy system(s) that normally operate autonomously (independent of the traditional centralized electric power grid).
Amount: Approximately $7,500,000-$17,000,000 is available to make between six and 20 awards. Award ranges are dependent upon Topic Area, as follows:
- Topic Area 1: Grants range from $50,000-$1,000,000
- Topic Area 2: Grants range from $250,000-$2,000,000
- Topic Area 3: Grants range from $50,000-$1,000,000 for Topic Area 3.a., and from $250,000-$2,000,000 for Topic Area 3.b.
A 50% cost share of the total allowable costs of the project is required. All cost share must come from non-federal sources unless otherwise allowed by law.
Eligibility: An Indian Tribe, Intertribal Organization, or Tribal Energy Development Organizations on whose Tribal Lands the project(s) will be located.